Saturday, December 03, 2005

Of Lawyer Jokes, Lawyer Ads, & Lawyers as Pit Bulls


I stumbled across an interesting story here. A Florida law firm used pit bulls in a television ad, including their phone number, 1-800-PIT BULL. What do you think, savvy advertising or the debasing of a noble profession? Both? A Florida judge ordered the firm to pull the ads. (Some of us would like to see all lawyer ads pulled.) Lawyers are encouraged to be "zealous advocates." A pit bull is certainly zealous. But with the regular reports of pit bulls mauling and killing children and old ladies, the comparison is monstrous. Give me a shark any day.

One interesting comment on Cliff's blog: "Lawyers themselves do more to shake the public's trust in lawyers than anyone else associated with the legal system." I would say only that lawyers do more than everyone else except those former lawyers now known as judges. Judges today often fail to police the docket and throw out frivolous cases that harass so many innocent parties needlessly. Today judges generally allow parties to pursue motions and causes of action that waste extraordinary amounts of time and money. And lawyers, being zealous, will always do all that they can on behalf of their clients. Many would argue that's their job, even duty. It's up to the judges to hem them in. Sure, the attorneys are responsible. But it's hard not to pursue every conceivable tactic on behalf of your client. What if the argument that is a stretch is the one that wins it? So, it's up to the judges to put boundaries around all this. To often, they fail to do so.

What about lawyer jokes? I like them as much as anyone else--maybe more so. I just don't believe they apply to me, you know? :-) But my favorite jokes are the New Yorker cartoons. If you can't see it, the caption above reads: The ones just out of law school are especially frolicsome.

14 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

P.S. Traveling the Lone Star State, I often pass billboards showing a barking doberman, slobber slinging from his huge teeth. The Spanish caption is an ad for a law firm. What is it with the dogs of war? Lawyers can call themselves pit bulls or dobermans, but can you imagine the following: "Call our firm, 1-800-444-JAWS"? Or, instead of "Call me, the Texas Hammer, at...," Jim Adler could try, "Call me, the Great White, at...."

What other profession would happily compare itself to ravenous, blood-thirsty beasts?

3:57 PM  
Blogger S. said...

I....don't .... get .... it.....

11:33 PM  
Blogger S. said...

Think of it not as making fun, but as JOINING in the fun, the fun and happy world of ellipses. But I will forthwith restrain myself.

12:21 PM  
Blogger S. said...

But I still don't get it about hairdressers. I knew the question, but don't follow the answer. To what do hairdressers compare themselves? Or am I overanalyzing the whole thing?

12:23 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

you obviously still go to a barber...

12:37 PM  
Blogger S. said...

It's Supercuts, faithfully, since we went there as kids (teens).

12:51 PM  
Blogger S. said...

Did Robb use the phrase "Lord and Master" when my name came up? Let's just say, I'm lucky to have plenty of hair: thriving, wild, thick hair. But the potential is only now being realized--by my daughter. She puts it to good use. Men just don't have the options....

11:34 PM  
Blogger S. said...

You linked me?? I never even realized that....smarty pants indeed.

Perhaps you should link me as immoral, corrupt, heinous criminal and dangerous influence on the youth of America. I'll explain why in a future blog.

Oh--and no one will really get it about Lord and M....

4:54 PM  
Blogger S. said...

By the way, I still haven't figured out how to link worthy folks like yourself. Of course, I figured out enough to now have three titles for every post.....whoops.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steven does have nice hair, e, (he gets it from me, of course) but I like it a little longer and with less mousse.
And he is overanalyzing. I got the hairdresser comment immediately. I'm swift, you see, and so hip and all that.
(Not really. But I do all I can to embarrass my kids.)
Mama

5:01 PM  
Blogger S. said...

Hey, whatever. You know? Whatever. It is what it is, man. Que serah, serah. (Kay Sarah Sarah?)

9:30 PM  
Anonymous pay per head said...

It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge

11:53 AM  
Anonymous pay per head said...

Thanks for posting this review! I love this website and I’ve subscribed to it.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post, I would like to request you to one more post about that Keep it up

BookieSoft

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home